.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Monday, December 13, 2004

WELL THERE’S ART . . . AND THERE’S STUFF I LIKE
The other day I subjected myself to viewing a short film entitled “Four”, made by none other than Yoko Ono, back in the heydays of 1969 New York. I was informed that it was making a statement for “peace”. It’s alternative title is “Bottoms”, and that was the programme too: numerous naked bums in close-up, wigglin’ around. Needless to say, it was a silent film of course; so not just all the bums, but also without any sound. For four minutes.
Well, I know it is art, but I know that I don’t like it.

If you want something artistic that in contrast is politically entirely despicable check out this collection of post-revolutionary Russian porcelain. Now, that is something I like, and some of the artwork presented here is quite impressive. If you’re puzzled by the innovative and modern touch the illustrations have, most items are from the earliest years of the Soviet regime when this sort of thing was considered the style of the moment. In later years Stalin's disapproval led to rather less inspiring “art”. *Shudder*
But generally speaking I often find that the 1920s were one the artistically pleasing decades ever.

Labels: ,


Comments:



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?