.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

THE FILMS OUR CHILDREN SHOULD SEE
I think this is a good idea, of encouraging children to see certain films. This would well complement the generally restrictive approach to having the little ones watching films. I don’t know what it says about me, but how come I have seen only one and a half of the recommended top ten films for children? I did see the Wizard of Oz as a child back in the days when it was on every Christmas; I think it was Christmas anyway. This only counts half though as I have only a vague visual memory of it and no idea about the plot etc. As for ET I though that was pretty rubbish. My personal childhood favourites I would probably add for my own offspring are:
-The Lord of the Flies, despite all the horror films I saw still the scariest film for me; kids can’t be harmed by being taught a lesson in the fragility of social order and the evil that man is capable of.
(I’m told the original Is better, btw.)
-To be or not to be, which to this day remains one of my all-time favourites, and is probably the best war-comedy ever made; slightly controversial in some respects due to treating the Holocaust a little too flippantly, which Lubitsch could not have understood at the time he made the film.
More to come . . .

Labels:


Comments:



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?