.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thursday, December 08, 2005

IRAQ AS KOREA
Via Clive Davis here’s great column by Anne Applebaum comparing Iraq not to Vietnam but to Korea. I think Applebaum is quite on the money here though I still find it too defeatist. But I think it’s worth comparing how the issue has shifted since I made the Iraq-Korea analogy more than two years ago. At the time I thought Korea was not the way to go and we needed to push for genuine victory. But I think the risk of ending up with another Korea, a situation that achieves a costly and ambivalent situation is quite big in Iraq now. Like in Korea, intervention in Iraq has brought good, but it has also created problems that proper success would have avoided.

Labels:


Comments:



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?